Sony's PMW-EX1R XDCAM EX HD Camcorder is the impressive successor to the popular PMW-EX1. While retaining everything that was right about the previous camera, Sony has listened to its professional users and taken several steps forward, not only improving ergonomics and convenience, but bringing a whole new set of features to the world's only full HD compact camcorder.
Like its predecessor, the PMW-EX1R's core is its three 1/2"-type CMOS sensors and 14x Fujinon zoom lens. This heavyweight imaging combo captures full 1920 x 1080 hi-def images to solid state SxS PRO memory cards at multiple bit rates, resolutions and frame rates. Whether you're shooting weddings, documentaries or feature films, there's a frame rate and resolution for you--from 60fps and native 23.98p recording at 720p, to 1fps at 1080i.
But along with its already proven imaging abilities and professional workflow, the PMW-EX1R expands its usability by offering DVCAM SD recording, XDCAM HD compatibility, and HDMI output. That means no more time-consuming downconverting or transcoding to work in different formats or with different recording and playback devices. Other new features add even more convenience and flexibility, including a high-resolution 1.23MP viewfinder, Cache Record, one-click S&Q button, auto iris, and even image inversion for flipping the image while shooting with a 35mm adapter. Make no mistake: the Sony PMW-EX1R is the first HD compact camcorder that truly does have it all.
- Three 1/2"-Type Exmor CMOS Sensors
- The PMW-EX1R is equipped with three newly developed 1/2"-type Exmor CMOS sensors, each with an effective pixel count of 1920 (H) x 1080 (V), which delivers excellent picture performance with full HD resolution. This 1/2"-type image sensor, using Sony's advanced accumulated sensor technologies, allows the camcorder to provide an excellent sensitivity of F10, a remarkable signal-to-noise ratio of 54dB, and a high horizontal resolution of 1000 TV lines (in 1920 x 1080/59.94i mode). In addition, this large 1/2"-type image sensor can capture images with a shallower depth of field than smaller-size image sensors, giving users more creative freedom of expression. What's more, the Exmor CMOS sensor's unique design deploys an A/D converter to each column of pixels, resulting in a much lower clock speed than conventional CMOS sensors. This makes it possible to greatly reduce power consumption of the camcorder and extend battery life.
- 1920 x 1080 HD Recording Using the "MPEG-2 Long GOP" Codec
- The PMW-EX1R records 1920 x 1080 full HD images using the "MPEG-2 Long GOP" codec, which conforms to the MPEG-2 MP@HL compression standard. "MPEG-2 Long GOP" is a mature codec--also adopted by the XDCAM HD and HDV 1080i series of products--which enables users to record stunning HD video and audio with highly efficient, reliable data compression.
- The PMW-EX1R has a new IR remote control receptor on the rear of its handle. This allows the user to control the PMW-EX1R with a Remote Commander both from the front and rear of the camcorder.
- Additional Aspect Markers For Cinematic Operation
- The PMW-EX1R benefits from the addition of several new aspect markers such as 1.66:1, 1.85:1, 2.35:1, and 2.4:1 for more convenient cinematic operation.
- Other Features
- Built-in ND filter wheel: 1: Clear, 2: 1/8ND, 3: 1/64ND
- Selectable gain: -3, 0, 3, 6, 9, 12, 18 dB
- High-speed picture search: x4, x15
- Freeze Mix function
- Skin-tone Detail control
- Low-key saturation